Our Family Genealogy Pages

Home Page  |  What's New  |  Photos  |  Histories  |  Headstones  |  Reports  |  Surnames

First Name:


Last Name:



Histories

» Show All     «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 48» Next»     » Slide Show

A Brief History of the Hoover Family's Emmigration Taken from "The History of Montgomery County, Ohio"

Daniel Hoover, Sr., and Hannah Mast were married on a farm situated upon the banks of the Uhwarri River, in Randolph County. N. C.. and came to this county with the colony of first settlers of Randolph Township.

Some of the men had made a trip north, seeking land, and finding at Cincinnati that the land office was not yet open, and that the splendid lands west of the Miami River were yet open for entry. they came up to the Dayton settlement. and being satisfied with the outlook. returned to their people in North Carolina.

In organizing the colony it was decided that the roads were too rough and the distance too great to haul furniture: therefore the wagons were loaded with provisions, clothing. cooking utensils, and a few farming implements, leaving room for the women and children to ride.
It was a long. lonely journey over the mountains, across the rivers, and through the hundreds of miles of dense, unbroken forest. yet it was an old road easily followed, although entirely unimproved.
The colony started in 1801, and did not sleep under a roof until their arrival at a point ten miles south of Dayton, near where Ridgeville, Warren County, now is; where they stopped for the winter.

The important thing then was the selection of land, and to get a tract upon which the families could locate. An exploring party made several trips up the Southwest Branch of the Stillwater River, and finally were agreed to locate on the west bank of that river, ten or twelve miles from Dayton; with Mr. Hoover taking the southeast quarter of Section 10. Cabin sites were selected, roads were marked out, and in some cases were at least partially opened to the Indian trail leading to Dayton. Capt. Mast and Daniel Hoover made the land entries at the Cincinnati office. In March, all being read, the colony left their winter quarters, and passing through Dayton. where they crossed the Miami, arrived upon their lands March 20, 1802.

Three-faced cabins of saplings were put up as temporary shelter for the families, while the men were clearing up patches to plant what corn and potatoes they had left. There was big work to be done. Hills and valleys were heavily timbered, slow, hard work was before the men in the clearings, and there was no place for drones in that colony. Fortunately for them, it was an early spring. and a long, dry season, and what planting they did do, turned out well.

It was the frontier settlement. and it took brave men to stay there. There was not a white manís cabin beyond them. Indian war parties and trading parties were constantly passing along the trails, and hunting parties were roaming the woods. Fleets of their canoes were upon the rivers. In fact, the country was yet in control of the savages, and the Hoover settlement was the advance post of civilization.

Mrs. Mary Sheets, who is living in Randolph Township, daughter of Daniel and Hannah Hoover, remembers that one day while they were yet living in the huts, she and her younger sister being alone, an Indian made his appearance, frightening them very much, but soon went away.

The road cut through by a division of Wayne's army, east from Fort St. Clair, along what has since been known as the "Sled Road." to Salem Creek, near Salem, thence north to Fort Greenville, was at that time used exclusively by the Indians; and at all times, except winter, camping parties were located at the fine springs along Stillwater, Greenville Creek, and at some of the Salem Creek springs. These were favorite hunting and fishing grounds, not given up by the savages until after 1811.
All kinds of game were to be had in plenty in the woods, but after the Hoover Mill was built (the pioneer mill, built, in 1803), the Indians brought in to trade for corn meal more venison, bear meat and wild turkeys, than the family could use.

Block-houses were necessarily built in all neighborhoods north of Dayton, and those west of Stillwater were used every year until 1815. At times of special alarm, the families remained in the block-houses, and all cattle and stock were corralled. The years 1800, 1809 and 1812 were specially trying times, and were about the only issues that were deemed too dangerous for the men--although they were strongly guarded to work in the fields.

The Indian outrages over on Greenville Creek in 1812 of course spread terror through the frontier. Settlers from all that section fled to the stronger line of block-houses from New Lexington across to the Miami. The men were on guard night and day, and although the savages did not molest neighborhoods in this county. great excitement prevailed until Fort Greenville was garrisoned lay militia.

Daniel Jr. son of Daniel and Hannah Hoover, was born in 1802, after the arrival of the colony; and was the first white child born in Randolph Township. He owns and is living upon, part of the farm that, his father settled on, and upon which he was born-the southeast corner of the section.
Randolph Township was organized November 6, 1801, and by influence of the colony from North Carolina was named for the county from which they had emigrated.

Daniel Hoover, Jr. remembers that in 1811, when he was nine years old, a party of 800 friendly Indians camped on his father's farm. This was just before the battle of Tippecanoe, and when the Indians broke camp they followed the trail west to the Wabash. Years after that, Mr. Hoover saw the Indian chief, Shane, at Fort Wayne, Indiana, who told him that he had crept inside the American lines as a spy the night before the battle at Tippecanoe, drew a bead on Gen. Harrison, but for his own safety did not fire.

Daniel Hoover, Jr., married Susan Byrkett in 1822. Mrs. Hoover also came from North Carolina.
She remembers that her parents filled a large jar with wild honey, dried five bushels of noodles, and put up other provisions for the long journey through the woods. They had great difficulty in crossing the Alleghenies. For three years after their arrival in Randolph Township, the family lived upon corn bread, potatoes, game and fish.

From the heavy timber to be cleared away, progress at the Hoover settlement was slow, yet was never checked, and at the time of the marriage of Daniel Hoover, Jr.. all Government lands had been taken up. Roads, however, were in bad condition, and in wet seasons were almost impassable.

The children of Daniel and Susan Hoover were Hannah. Eli, Levina, Andrew Jackson, Henry Clay, Abraham, James Elliott, Sarah Ann, William, Charles and Eliza Jane. Hannah. James E. and Sarah Ann are dead. Eli, William and Charles were born blind, were educated at Columbus, Ohio, and became accomplished both in vocal and instrumental music. Levina married Enos Embree: Andrew J. married Charlotte Gable; Henry C. married Ann Barbara Cook; Abraham married Julian Gable; and Elza Jane married George W. Eby.

368 - HISTORY OF MONTGOMERY COUNTY.
The aged couple, Mr. and Mrs. Hoover, are living a quiet. comfortable life on the old farm, with their children and grandchildren around them, often entertaining their friends and descendants with interesting stories and incidents of the early days and settlement of the Stillwater Valley. A happy couple of old school people, retired from active farm life, they are living in the memories of the past. and contentedly enjoying the blessings with which they are surrounded.

Daniel Hoover, Sr., and Hannah Mast were married on a farm situated upon the banks of the Uhwarri River, in Randolph County. N. C.. and came to this county with the colony of first settlers of Randolph Township. Some of the men had made a trip north, seeking land, and finding at Cincinnati that the land office was not yet open, and that the splendid lands west of the Miami River were yet open for entry. they came up to the Dayton settlement. and being satisfied with the outlook. returned to their people in North Carolina. In organizing the colony it was decided that the roads were too rough and the distance too great to haul furniture: therefore the wagons were loaded with provisions, clothing. cooking utensils, and a few farming implements, leaving room for the women and children to ride. It was a long. lonely journey over the mountains, across the rivers, and through the hundreds of miles of dense, unbroken forest. yet it was an old road easily followed, although entirely unimproved. The colony started in 1801, and did not sleep under a roof until their arrival at a point ten miles south of Dayton, near where Ridgeville, Warren County, now is; where they stopped for the winter. The important thing then was the selection of land, and to get a tract upon which the families could locate. An exploring party made several trips up the Southwest Branch of the Stillwater River, and finally were agreed to locate on the west bank of that river, ten or twelve miles from Dayton; with Mr. Hoover taking the southeast quarter of Section 10. Cabin sites were selected, roads were marked out, and in some cases were at least partially opened to the Indian trail leading to Dayton. Capt. Mast and Daniel Hoover made the land entries at the Cincinnati office. In March, all being read, the colony left their winter quarters, and passing through Dayton. where they crossed the Miami, arrived upon their lands March 20, 1802. Three-faced cabins of saplings were put up as temporary shelter for the families, while the men were clearing up patches to plant what corn and potatoes they had left. There was big work to be done. Hills and valleys were heavily timbered, slow, hard work was before the men in the clearings, and there was no place for drones in that colony. Fortunately for them, it was an early spring. and a long, dry season, and what planting they did do, turned out well. It was the frontier settlement. and it took brave men to stay there. There was not a white manís cabin beyond them. Indian war parties and trading parties were constantly passing along the trails, and hunting parties were roaming the woods. Fleets of their canoes were upon the rivers. In fact, the country was yet in control of the savages, and the Hoover settlement was the advance post of civilization. Mrs. Mary Sheets, who is living in Randolph Township, daughter of Daniel and Hannah Hoover, remembers that one day while they were yet living in the huts, she and her younger sister being alone, an Indian made his appearance, frightening them very much, but soon went away. The road cut through by a division of Wayne's army, east from Fort St. Clair, along what has since been known as the "Sled Road." to Salem Creek, near Salem, thence north to Fort Greenville, was at that time used exclusively by the Indians; and at all times, except winter, camping parties were located at the fine springs along Stillwater, Greenville Creek, and at some of the Salem Creek springs. These were favorite hunting and fishing grounds, not given up by the savages until after 1811. All kinds of game were to be had in plenty in the woods, but after the Hoover Mill was built (the pioneer mill, built, in 1803), the Indians brought in to trade for corn meal more venison, bear meat and wild turkeys, than the family could use. Block-houses were necessarily built in all neighborhoods north of Dayton, and those west of Stillwater were used every year until 1815. At times of special alarm, the families remained in the block-houses, and all cattle and stock were corralled. The years 1800, 1809 and 1812 were specially trying times, and were about the only issues that were deemed too dangerous for the men--although they were strongly guarded to work in the fields. The Indian outrages over on Greenville Creek in 1812 of course spread terror through the frontier. Settlers from all that section fled to the stronger line of block-houses from New Lexington across to the Miami. The men were on guard night and day, and although the savages did not molest neighborhoods in this county. great excitement prevailed until Fort Greenville was garrisoned lay militia. Daniel Jr. son of Daniel and Hannah Hoover, was born in 1802, after the arrival of the colony; and was the first white child born in Randolph Township. He owns and is living upon, part of the farm that, his father settled on, and upon which he was born-the southeast corner of the section. Randolph Township was organized November 6, 1801, and by influence of the colony from North Carolina was named for the county from which they had emigrated. Daniel Hoover, Jr. remembers that in 1811, when he was nine years old, a party of 800 friendly Indians camped on his father's farm. This was just before the battle of Tippecanoe, and when the Indians broke camp they followed the trail west to the Wabash. Years after that, Mr. Hoover saw the Indian chief, Shane, at Fort Wayne, Indiana, who told him that he had crept inside the American lines as a spy the night before the battle at Tippecanoe, drew a bead on Gen. Harrison, but for his own safety did not fire. Daniel Hoover, Jr., married Susan Byrkett in 1822. Mrs. Hoover also came from North Carolina. She remembers that her parents filled a large jar with wild honey, dried five bushels of noodles, and put up other provisions for the long journey through the woods. They had great difficulty in crossing the Alleghenies. For three years after their arrival in Randolph Township, the family lived upon corn bread, potatoes, game and fish. From the heavy timber to be cleared away, progress at the Hoover settlement was slow, yet was never checked, and at the time of the marriage of Daniel Hoover, Jr.. all Government lands had been taken up. Roads, however, were in bad condition, and in wet seasons were almost impassable. The children of Daniel and Susan Hoover were Hannah. Eli, Levina, Andrew Jackson, Henry Clay, Abraham, James Elliott, Sarah Ann, William, Charles and Eliza Jane. Hannah. James E. and Sarah Ann are dead. Eli, William and Charles were born blind, were educated at Columbus, Ohio, and became accomplished both in vocal and instrumental music. Levina married Enos Embree: Andrew J. married Charlotte Gable; Henry C. married Ann Barbara Cook; Abraham married Julian Gable; and Elza Jane married George W. Eby. 368 - HISTORY OF MONTGOMERY COUNTY. The aged couple, Mr. and Mrs. Hoover, are living a quiet. comfortable life on the old farm, with their children and grandchildren around them, often entertaining their friends and descendants with interesting stories and incidents of the early days and settlement of the Stillwater Valley. A happy couple of old school people, retired from active farm life, they are living in the memories of the past. and contentedly enjoying the blessings with which they are surrounded.

Linked toFamily: HOOVER (HUBER)/MAST (F1077)

» Show All     «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 48» Next»     » Slide Show